June 9, 2018 Nativo Lodge
This unique conference is a fabulous opportunity for authors whose minds exist in other worlds to create publishable books for this one!
Not into Sci-Fi/Fantasy?
Want to examine publishing options?
There are two tracks of presentations going on – one is for Sci-Fi/Fantasy and the other features information integral to the Craft of Writing regardless of genre. The conference begins with an opportunity for all attendees to attend The Great Publishing Debate highlighting the pros and cons of traditional publishing versus self publishing.
The directors of three publishing companies will give their views of why traditional publishing is the best route for authors while two self-published authors and the vice-president of and Indie publishing house offer opinions to the contrary!
After the debate, attendees can sign up to do a 5 minute pitch to the publishers or attend a session on steps to Self-Publishing. Here are some of the presentations by outstanding award winning authors lined up for the event: (list not yet complete – see AGENDA page)
Track #1 – Science Fiction/Fantasy
- Creating Fantasy Races Indigenous to Unique Settings
- Turning your Role Playing Game into a Publishable Book
- Worldbuilding: Political Systems in Conflict
- Writing SF Fast Enough to Stay Ahead of Reality
- 5 Secrets to Keeping Your Readers Spellbound
Track #2 – The Craft of Writing
- Copyrights and Contracts for Writers
- Is This Actually a Story?
- Aesthetics of a Fabulous Book Cover
- Getting your SF/Fantasy book into the Movies!
- The Steps to Self-Publishing
And a little bit extra!
You can mix and mingle with the publishers and speakers at a reception buffet/dinner the evening before the event, June 8th at the Nativo Lodge. Click here for more information.
The conference takes place in the exotic Nativo Lodge in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This hotel blends rich contemporary design with vibrant historical and artistic details reflective of New Mexico’s Native American heritage. Special room rates are available. For information on special room rates for attendees click here.
For Conference News and Updates Click Here.
Online Registration is now closed. You can still show up tomorrow morning and register at the event!
- Visit these conference pages:
Conference Location and Nativo Lodge Room conference rates
- For Registration Information Click Here
- Click here for more information on the Speakers & Topics
If you have comments regarding our events, or ideas for future conferences, please leave a comment below, email SouthWest Writers or call the SWW office at 505-830-6034.