2020 Annual Writing Contest:
SEEING the WORLD in 20/20
Each work can achieve a maximum of 100 points. Criteria are scored from one to ten, with one being the lowest and ten being perfect. Judges must consider a score of 7 points per category as average and an overall score of 70 as average.
All works will be in Times New Roman font and 12-point, double spaced.
Technical/Mechanics ALL Categories
- Formatting: Punctuation, spelling, grammar, and syntax are standard except as required for literary effect. Intentional deviations from convention are consistent. All font and formatting meet contest requirements.
- Language: Word choice and order are precise, colorful, evocative. Vocabulary is appropriate to the subject, style and characters.
- Form/Pacing: Sentence length and breaks enhance the clarity, meaning and movement. Work moves well, does not become stagnant or devolve into tangents.
- Theme/Story: The work effectively explores or relates to the category in an interesting manner.
- Opening Hook: The opening captures the attention of the reader and clearly defines the focus of the work.
- Characters/Subject: The characters/subject of the work are credible, well-developed and appropriate to the genre.
- Voice/Dialogue: The voice of the narrator/author and/or characters are clear, unique and appropriate for the work or subject. There is a coherent, consistent point of view.
- Originality: The idea, perspective, or presentation is unique and fresh.
Additional Criteria for POETRY ONLY
— Entry must not exceed 250 lines.
- Drama/Impact: The poem as a whole, captures, effectively implies a compelling story, perspective or visualization. The poem evokes an emotional or thoughtful response from the reader.
- Message: The meaning or message of the poem is clear, focused and concise.
Additional Criteria for MEMOIR, BIOGRAPHY and all FICTION Prose Categories ONLY
- Drama/Conflict/Impact: Dramatic tension is compelling and results in a credible climax and resolution. It effectively engages the reader and evokes an emotional response.
- Imagery/Setting: Setting is an understandable time and place, enhances the story. Figurative description creates rich or broad appeal.
Additional Criteria for NON-FICTION Categories ONLY (except for Memoir and Biography)
- Construction: The work effectively communicates information and/or instructions clearly.
- Content: The work/story examines the subject thoroughly, facts are correct.
Click here to return to the Main Contest Page.