Since 1982, SouthWest Writers has been helping its members progress in their aspirations to write, both professionally and for their own enjoyment. As one of the largest and most respected writing organizations in the nation, SouthWest Writers serves more than 300 members with steadily expanding services.
Membership in SouthWest Writers means opportunities for writing success found nowhere else:
- Networking: The writer’s most direct line to success.
- Author interviews posted to the SWW blog to help promote your work. Email Kathy to schedule a website interview.
- A free Author Page on this website that includes author bio and photo, book covers, buying links, and listings of short stories, essays, and poems. Pre-published members are also welcome to have an Author Page.
- Free monthly workshops with professional instructors in all aspects of the writing craft.
- Discounts on conferences and classes.
- List your awards along with other SWW members on our Member Awards page.
- A chance to be published when we call for submissions from our membership for future book projects. Read about our past projects The Storyteller’s Anthology (2014), the SouthWest Writers Sage Anthology (2018), and KiMo Theatre: Fact & Folklore (2019).
- Access to the Members Only section of our website — our newest member benefit that includes a critique group program.
- In addition: See the SWW Pro Services Directory for help with editing, critiquing, publishing, marketing, artwork, etc. (or to be included in the directory). Enter our annual writing contest for a chance to win cash awards and be published in a future contest anthology such as Seeing the World in 20/20 (an anthology of award-winning stories, 2020) and SouthWest Writers 2019 Winners Anthology. Learn about writing, publishing, marketing, social media, and more at our monthly educational programs accessible via Zoom. For more information, call (505-830-6034) or visit our office (see our contact information for location and business hours).
Three Ways to Join SouthWest Writers:
Bob Gassaway Student Writer Grant
Membership grants are available for high school and college students. Benefits include monthly meetings with professional speakers, an annual conference, and ongoing fellowship with working writers in the area. The grant is in memory of Bob Gassaway, a reporter, teacher, and lifelong writer and SWW member. To learn about Bob, read Rose Marie Kern’s blog post: Robert Gassaway – Gentleman Author.
Carlisle Executive Offices
3200 Carlisle Blvd NE, Suite 114
Albuquerque, NM 87110
We are a non-profit 501(C)(3). Click here to read our bylaws.
“I’ve taken pains wherever possible—including the Acknowledgments to both [my] novels—to mention and thank this wonderful organization for the doors it opened for me.” ~ Chuck Greaves, Hush Money and Hard Twisted
♦ ♦ ♦
I found the members to be supportive and enthusiastic. The contests, critique services and conferences have been extremely helpful in getting my first book published. ~ Sue Houser, Hot Foot Teddy: The True Story of Smokey Bear
♦ ♦ ♦
No matter how many books I’ve written, I learn something new at every meeting. ~ Jonathan Miller, Rattlesnake Lawyer, Volcano Verdict, Crater County, Conflict Contract, Lawyer Geisha Pink, and Rattlesnake Wedding
♦ ♦ ♦
They say chicken soup is good for the soul, but I found writing is better. ~ Elsie Karr Kreischer, National Award Winning Children’s Books Writer and SWW Co-founder
♦ ♦ ♦
Due to the organization, I have published three books and am now working on a fourth. ~ Jerry R. Davis, Home on the Farm, Tales of the Road, and Leafing Through My Family Tree